St Vincent de Paul Parish PrimarySchool is found in Strathmore. The Sisters of Charity opened St Vincent de Paul School, North Essendon (as it was known then) on 26th January 1937. It was not until 1941 that the Parish of St Vincent de Paul, North Essendon, was established and in 1943 the area was re-named Strathmore.
The School has undergone eight Building Program Stages since then. Our latest building project has created two new classrooms and a Learning Resource Area, the Kirinari Centre.
It was 26th January 1937 that the Sisters of Charity opened St Vincent de Paul School, North Essendon (as it was known then). The first sisters appointed to undertake the Catholic Education of the forty students were Sr M. Avellino Walsh, Sr M. Helana Parker, Sr M. Majella O’Shea and Sr M. Frances Donovan with Carmel Considine appointed Sister in charge in 1938.
In the following sixty years, the student enrolment has grown to peak at 680 in 1960-61, with 11 staff and classes of 80-90 students. Our present enrolment sits at just above 400 students with 16 classes of between 20.-28 students.
It was not until 1941 that the Parish of St Vincent de Paul, North Essendon was established and in 1943 the area was re-named Strathmore. The Columban Fathers administered the Parish until 1946 when Fr Durkin was appointed Parish Priest. It is interesting to note that Strathmore Parish has only had 5 Parish Priests with Fr Frank Larsen appointed in 1977, Fr Dom De Giorgio in 1992, Fr Peter Ray in 2007 and Fr Tony Doran in 2021.